to the poster that posted about "step by step" process
to setup an email server ...
- i deleted your mail .. and decided to reply now
lets see ...
0) harden your mail server to minimize exploitable vulnerabilities
a) pick which mta you like
- sendmail, exim, postfix, qmail, foo
( lets make it easy and use exim if you're using
( a debian box
b) pick what you want it to do ..
- configure it for antispam
- rbls, reverse dns,
- fake users sending and receiving
- bad headers, bad subject, bad content,
- blah blah to filter against
- configure it for antivirus
- configure it for foo-features
- think you wanted ldap features too ??
( shy ?? )
c) pick which pop server you want
- imap ??? ( bad choice )
- use secure imap instead
d) play with apt-get options to see whats available in *.deb packages
e) webmail vs ldap ?? ( anybody can check email from anywhere )
- i'd pick secure webmail instead
f) configure samba if you have windoze users