Re: OT: Debian Mailinglist server slow?

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 07:16:03AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
| On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 05:17, Paul Johnson wrote:
| > On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 11:25:10PM +0200, Pim Bliek wrote:
| > > Is this just me or is the mailinglist server terribly slow? I sent a
| > > message to the list at 9:15 PM and I got it back 2 hours later around
| > > 11:20 PM.... So this is 2 full hours to process the email on the Debian
| > > server... Am I correct here?
| >
| > Wrong question.  You should have asked, "I sent a message to the list
| > at 9:15 PM local time and I got it around two hours later.  I'd like
| > to see this interval reduced.  Where can I donate a new, more powerful
| > server to Software in the Public Interest to take over for murphy?"
| >
| > > Does anyone know why?
| >
| > It takes a long time to send a lot of email.  I suspect that between
| > all the Debian mailing lists that Debian sends more email than some
| > spamhauses.  It really takes a long time to send a lot of email on
| > old, donated hardware.
|
| Totally disagree.
|
| Before MSBlaster & sobig.f made their appearance, the debian- lists
| were responding very quickly.

Sometimes it's fast, and sometimes the server is overloaded and
message turnaround can be 5 or 6 hours.  One time murphy ran out of
inodes on its disk, and thus was having a lot of trouble processing
mail.  Another time the spam-scanning system there went haywire and
caused long delays.  Sometimes an overload of junk (spam, virus, or
the loads of autoresponder crap that follows the virus) overloads the
system causing delays.

You could just sit tight and be patient during the slow times, or you
could donate more resources to help combat the crap that wastes the
resources SPI already has.

-D

--
Many are the plans in a man's heart,
but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/