Re: kernel source (file name and location)

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:00:13 -0700
"M.Forbes" <stptr@telus.net> wrote:

>  I need to know what the name and location would be as for the
>  kernel-source in order to get my Ethernet card working.
> I was getting an error in line 27 that the kernel source was not able to
> be found. I was able to find that I have to adjust the following line of
> code:
>
> #ksrc :=/usr/sr/ksrc/RedHat/7.2/linux-2.4.7-10alt-ent
>
> I am currently running the woody 3 distro of Debian with kernel 2.4.18.
> Can someone throw me a clue? (I tried #ksrc
> :=/usr/src/kernel-source-2.x.xx but there are no files that are showing in
> my usr directory or the subdirectories there of )

Once you've downloaded and installed the kernel-source-2.4.18 package, do
the following:

1. Create a symlink from the kernel source tree, called "linux":
bash /usr/src: ln -s kernel-source-2.4.18 linux

2. Copy the configuration file you're using now to the kernel source tree:
bash /usr/src/linux: cp /boot/config-2.4.18-bf2.4 .config
(If you're using another kernel version besides bf2.4, modify the command
accordingly.)

3. In /usr/src/linux do "make oldconfig".

Kevin