Re: support - Re: where is the place to enable agp gart in kernel 2.4.21?

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 02:00:14 +0200, Alvin Oga wrote:

> - don't buy stuff because somebody said its good or bad..

Very good advice. Different users have different expectations from their
hardware. You often hear that Radeons "work" under Linux. Sure, the 2D
part works fine, but that's not a reason to get the latest 3D accelerator.

> 	- ie .. read lots of docs
> 	( ati or nvidia websites usually has up-2-date drivers n stuff )

ATI does not provide drivers for their latest cards (9600 and 9800). At
least they did not when I looked two weeks ago. I had to use the FireGL
drivers from Schneider, which "sort of" worked (garbled OpenGL and no
video overlay support) and lacked proper documentation for the corner
cases (namely dualhead). The OpenGL bug has been fixed in the meantime
AFAIK. Still, it's a bit frustrating when you compare that to the level of
support that nVidia provides.

> agp gart stuff is tricky to get working  ... fun or annoying stuff

If your chipset is supported, it's not tricky at all. Otherwise, it
depends - how much of a kernel hacker are you? ;-)

--
Best Regards,   |   Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
 Sebastian      |   your ~/.signature to help me spread!