Re: opening ports & i feel dumb

Whoah, slow down there. eDonkey automatically listens on the ports - just start the program and it'll work like magic. The INETD server is for programs that should be spawned only when a connection is made to a port. For most network programs, this isn't required.

Also, you might wanna check out mldonkey - it's a much nicer replacement for the official client, and includes an easy web interface.

	Luke Reeves

amg wrote:
recently switched to debian after years with windows, i am enjoying the experience, although at times i get frustrated - i know that is my fault and not my computer (or operating system - or linux - or debian - or yours)

my current dilemma is with ports:

understanding them, and working with them

i use a program called edonkey - which requires port(s) 4662, 4665, and 4661 (i don't think that last two are important as the first) to be open and available

using nmap i see that several ports are already open accepting connections - and these ports have certain programs or services assigned to them
(i don;t think that supplying the open ports is important - but i could be wrong)

while looking at "/etc/inet.dconf" and "/etc/services" i see that these programs and/or services have to be "declared" or "assigned" to a certain port number (or actually vice versa)
(side question: is my understanding of this false?)

i tried to input "edonkey" along with the corresponding port number inside the two aformentioned configurations files

i entered this into "/etc/inetd.conf":
edonkey       stream  tcp     nowait  amg     /usr/local/bin/edonkey/donkey0.50.1
(please use your imagination for the other two ports)

and this into "/etc/services":
edonkey       4662/tcp        edonkey       # edonkey
(again, your imagination is required)

i then rebooted (just to make sure it was read correctly (special reminder: i am new at this))
and the corresponding ports were not opened - or available (using nmap)

doing research on the web (mainly google - along with lists.debian.org - and some tldp.org) i come across information pertaining to iptables and ipchains, and other firewall information.

i dont have ipchains or iptables installed, so assigning them access would accomplish nothing (correct?)

so, my question (along with the inter-dispersed) and my assumption is i don't have a firewall running on my computer (from what i can tell - very bad - but please limit your response to what's coming up next), certain ports are in a closed state, although my declarations in the two configuration files seem(to me) to be correct.

do i need to start edonkey as a service to allow it access to listen to a port (using it in a certain runlevel and/or a symbolic link inside that specific runlevel)?
(and if so how would i do this)

is there another configuration file i should be editing?

does debian come with a firewall as default? from what i can tell it doesn't - and i don't remember selecting one from the initial install - and certainly don't remember downloading one using "apt-get"

if it doesn't how do i allow my computer to listen to a certain port - and allow access to this specific port(s).

--

if the above question (it might not seem like one) is too much of a pain to read (not knowing what i am doing doesn't help me ask a question in the best manner)

i'm assuming it can be summed up with this:

how do i allow my computer to "open a port" (listen on a port)

if you're answer is "some command pertaining to this firewall" - i don't have one installed

also - if you're response is to "read the ****ing manual" - specify which one (i have read inetd - but couldn't figure out another one that would apply)

i hope i've explained my question properly - i tried to give all the supplying and relative information - but if there is something i have missed - i will supply it

along with any information that you could provide me with, i would also like to recieve tips on asking questions - this way - when i come back (which i'm sure i'll do) i'll be able to ask in the most concise and compact manner possible, allowing those that would help me a better chance of understanding me, and allowing me a better way of presenting my problem

my pc specs:
(in case you need to know)

distro: 	debian 3.0
kernel:		2.4.18-bf2.4