Re: support - Re: where is the place to enable agp gart in kernel 2.4.21?

hi ya sebastian

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Sebastian Kapfer wrote:

> Very good advice. Different users have different expectations from their
> hardware. You often hear that Radeons "work" under Linux. Sure, the 2D
> part works fine, but that's not a reason to get the latest 3D accelerator.

"work[ing]" is also relative too ..
	- depends on the monitor one uses .. :-)
	and its resolution you want and flickering or not ..etc.etc..

> ATI does not provide drivers for their latest cards (9600 and 9800). At
> least they did not when I looked two weeks ago. I had to use the FireGL
> drivers from Schneider, which "sort of" worked (garbled OpenGL and no

yes... i did the same ... took me a day of googling to find
newer drivers
http://www.schneider-digital.de/html/body_download_ati.html#8x00

drivers at ati was old and didnt support it back in april

i've since convreted out most of the old fireGL and have them using
$1,000 nvidia quadro 9x000 series controllers .. they seem to be happy
3D modeling their molecules complete w/ 3d goggles

> > agp gart stuff is tricky to get working  ... fun or annoying stuff
>
> If your chipset is supported, it's not tricky at all. Otherwise, it
> depends - how much of a kernel hacker are you? ;-)

adding/deleting options in the kernel is easy.. once you get the hang
of it and is highly recommended when time prevails
	( spend the time to learn now .. or later .. )

and played with the kernel sources too .. to get some hw recognized

still fun and annoying at the same time ...
and having to do it 24 times repeatatively stresses the point too
for this one client

c ya
alvin