libc6 optimizations

Earlier today I was toying with the idea of recompiling libc6 with a bunch of optimization flags. I did an apt-get source libc6 and added the flags I wanted. I built binaries via "fakeroot ./debian/rules binary" and did a dpkg -i on the resulting deb files. Well, the install hung and failed. ls would segfault, ssh would still work. Things were... broken.

Not really a problem as I had a 'good' libc6 deb, so I just booted off a knoppix cd and unpacked the deb in my root partition. 5 minutes later I was back up and running. I did an apt-get --reinstall install libc6 just to make sure all the needed post-install scripts ran. It worked as expected. Back up, no data loss, things are fine.

Anyways... has anyone done this sort of crazy thing? I was thinking that in addition to the kernel, libc6 was a good candidate for a recompile in terms of overall performance boosts. I know about gentoo, but I dont feel like changing distros. I jsut want to put libc6 on hold a while and play around... see if I can even notice the difference before I make any decisions like changing distros. Were my problems with the optimized deb files due the the optimization flags themselves (I used the same CFLAGS that the kernel does when you compile it optimized for athlons). Also, I used gcc 3.3.2. Should I have used a different compiler? I dont want to have to recompile all the packages, just this one.

Its not really critical or anything, I was just wondering about it.

--

Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

"The Torah...  The Gospels...  The Koran...
Each claimed as the infallible word of GOD.
Misquoted, misinterpreted, misunderstood, and misapplied.
Maybe that's why he doesn't do any more interviews." - sinfest.net

CARPE NOCTEM, QUAM MINIMUM CREDULA POSTERO.

GPG public key: http://www.neverlight.com/pas/Mental.asc