Re: libc6 optimizations

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 04:52:12PM -0400, Mental Patient wrote:

> Anyways... has anyone done this sort of crazy thing?

I've locally compiled libc6, among other things. I have a wrapper
around gcc to force the flags I want as some makefiles (though not
most Debian ones) make it a real pain to reliably set them less
kludgily. I build debs with dpkg-buildpackage -b -rfakeroot -us -uc.

> Were my problems with the optimized deb
> files due the the optimization flags themselves (I used the same CFLAGS
> that the kernel does when you compile it optimized for athlons).

Some of the flags used in kernel compilation screw things up when
compiling userland code. I generally just use -O2 -march=i686.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons