Re: rms on debian

* Mike Fedyk <mfedyk@matchmail.com> [2003-08-20 09:18]:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 01:19:42AM +1000, Tom Massey wrote:
> > * Kevin Mark <kevin@pacific.net.au> [2003-08-17 15:06]:
> > >  RMS: When I recommend a GNU/Linux distribution, I choose based on
> > > ethical considerations. Today I would recommend GNU/LinEx,
> >
> > Hmm. I respect Mr Stallman's ethical position, but shouldn't he
> > be a bit more consistent? If he wants to credit GNU as in GNU/Linux,
> > shouldn't he also credit Linux as in GNU/Linux? Has the government
> > of Extramadura written a kernel called LinEx that can be run as the
> > kernel of a GNU system? Quite seriously, recognising the role that GNU
> > has had to play, I think it's equally necessary to recognise the role
> > of Linux. Why should anybody call it GNU/Linux over Linux if RMS endorses
> > GNU/LinEx?
>
> God!  (oh, wait this is the Debian list, nevermind)
>
> LinEx uses the same Linux that Debian does.

Mmm, I realise that. I think you missed my point. Personally, I
don't care what they call it, but Mr Stallman has a long history
of caring very much that Linux have GNU added to the front. Given
this, why is he not concerned when people start playing around
with vowels? Would GNE/Linux be OK? I think that in order to
recognise the joint contribution of GNU and Linux, I'll start
running GNI/Lunix, because "We are the *nix who say gni."