Re: How to remove Exim ?

Derrick 'dman' Hudson declaimed:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 12:32:12PM -0800, W.D. McKinney wrote:
> | Hello,
> |
> | Is there a URL for how to remove exim from Woody 3.0 ?
> | I can't seem to recall what I did the last time :-)
>
> # aptitude --purge exim
>     or
> # apt-get remove --purge exim
>    or
> # dpkg --purge exim
>
> You probably don't want to do the above, however.  UNIX systems need
> an MTA so that, at the very least, the system can notify you of
> certain error conditions.
>
> exim will get removed automatically if you install a different package
> which provides 'mail-transport-agent'.

Dag! I said MUA but meant MTA in my cross-post. Nice to know about the
"mail-transport-agent" dependancy, Debian is cool. Installing qmail
doesn't automatically remove exim, however, (at least not when I did
this last year) because the debian qmail package just gives you the
sources and does some of the group creation prep.
--
Paul Mackinney
paul@mackinney.net