Re: How to remove Exim ?

W.D. McKinney declaimed:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a URL for how to remove exim from Woody 3.0 ?

Are you trying to replace it, purge it, or just turn it off?

You can disable it permanently by su'ing and running
# /etc/init.d/exim stop
# update-rc.d -f exim remove

If you just want to replace it (eg, with sendmail, qmail, etc) then the
docs for the replacement should cover what to do with your old MUA. Or
just run

# apt-get remove --purge exim
# apt-get install [exim replacement MUA]
(BTW, I've never tried this)

But whatever you do, you kind of need to plan for a replacement because
UNIX/Linux systems really expect an MUA to be there, and if you disable
it without providing a replacement you'll likely start running into
various weird errors.

My only experience along these lines has been to install qmail, I just
installed it following the docs, changed the /usr/lib/sendmail symlink
and disabled the exim startup scripts. I didn't try to uninstall
anything--cruft is a good insulator and we're used to the way it smells,
right? ;-)

HTH, PM
--
Paul Mackinney