Solved! GUI desktop on ultra-slim laptop

I was given an old IBM ThinkPad 340CSE with a 486/50 and 12MB of RAM.  I
replaced the dead 200MB harddrive with a 10GB model that I pulled from a
hacked Webplayer.  My goal was to use the little machine for web browsing,
email checking, etc. from about the house.  Today, I succeeded.  Here's what
I did:

1) Bought a Microsoft MN-500 WAP and MN-520 wlan card (Prism) from Office
   Max for a total of $80.

2) Built a 2.2.25 kernel with *everything* not strictly required for booting
   stripped away, but with pcmcia-cs and linux-wlan-ng modules added in.  A
   gigahertz-class Thunderbird was very convenient for this step.

3) apt-get remove'd everything that didn't look absolutely necessary.  I
   mean, *everything*.  `ps aux' at login returns:

    init
    [kflushd
    [kupdate
    [kswapd
    [keventd
    /sbin/klogd
    /sbin/cardmgr
    -bash
    /sbin/getty 38400 tty2
    /sbin/getty 38400 tty3

4) Set a few sysctls for minimal caching:

    vm/buffermem = 0 0 5
    vm/page-cluster = 1
    vm/pagecache = 0 0 5
    vm/pagetable_cache = 0 0

4) Installed and configured svgalibg1.  The defaults were almost reasonable,
   except that I set the video card to "VESA" and turned off mouse
   acceleration.

5) Installed svncviewer.

6) Set up a VNC server (-geometry 640x480 -depth 8) on a larger host on the
   LAN.

7) Booted into multi-user mode, launched svncviewer, and started using
   Konquerer and OpenOffice.org on my little underpowered laptop.
--
Kirk Strauser