Re: Fetchmail stuck on bad messages

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 03:22:33AM +0200, Carel Fellinger wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 12:12:28AM -0500, Michael D Schleif wrote:
> > ...Of course, I need something to act as MTA; but, what I am
> > unclear about is that which exim contributes as LDA that cannot --
> > readily -- be accomplished via procmail.  What are reasons to continue
> > to use exim -- or equivalent -- between fetchmail and procmail?
>
> It's a necessity in a multi-drop setup, i.e. getting mail for different
> people in the same mailbox at your IPS, you need a MTA to deliver to
> all the different users.
>
> I for instance have one mailbox at my IPS with 5 aliases.  Being Dutch
> and all, we use those aliases so all members of the family seem to
> have there own email address, and I configured fetchmail to get the
> mail and deliver depending on header info.  It used to work flawless,
> but then the Envelop/Deliverd-TO header got mangled at my IPS and hence
> meaningless:(, and now I've to rely on (incomplete) Received headers.

Can't you use procmail to filter on headers. That's the point of
procmail :)

> A second reason I prefer the setup I have, is that I can switch to
> maildrop, gnus elisp filters or cyrus's sieve (imap site filtering)
> without having to change a thing in my fetchmail setup.  If I were to
> use procmail directly, I would have to both change my general mail
> setup *and* my fetchmail/procmail setup.

Ahh well, that's ok. But the reason I like procmail is that I can use
gnus, mutt, etc. All at the same time and have the filtering happen
somewhere else, so I don't have to worry about looking at my mail in one
program and having the filters in the other mess up.

Bijan