Re: rms on debian

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 04:55:36PM +1000, Darryl Barlow wrote:
> Obvously we all owe a lot to RMS, but this does not of course mean that we
> must agree with him.  He is an idealist, and his solution to the problems
> raised by "non-free" software are in my view at one extreme of the spectrum.
> I respect his views though I do not entirely agree with them.  His attitude
> should not come as a surprise to us.  I am sure most people involved in
> Debian are aware of his views and of what must be done or not done to retain
> his approval.  We cannot realistically expect to retain such approval when we
> choose to depart from his philosophy.  I love the Debian approach, and am
> quite simply amazed at the quality of the distribution and the dedication of
> those involved.  The decisions which have lead to RMS withholding his
> approval are in my view good ones, though once again I respect Richard's
> right to disagree, as should we all.
>
> The tension between intellectual property rights and the public benefit of
> "free" information is building, and I don't know how it will ultimately be
> resolved, not only for Software but in many even more important areas.  Look,
> for instance, at pharmaceuticals.  New drugs are developed which are in many
> cases too expensive for those who would benefit most.  Yet without the
> rewards conferred by patents, it is doubtful that many of these drugs would
> have been developed at all.

I doubt the validity of this interpretation of the 'ethical' drug business.
Most of the expense of developing new drugs is in developing the scientific
infra-structure without which no-one would ever dream of trying to develop a
drug for profit. This infra-structure expense is paid by society via government
funded research at government and university laboratories (and a few government
funded private laboratories).

 Yet there is also the question of what advances