Re: Fetchmail stuck on bad messages

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 10:53:24PM -0400, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 03:22:33AM +0200, Carel Fellinger wrote:
> > but then the Envelop/Deliverd-TO header got mangled at my IPS and hence
> > meaningless:(, and now I've to rely on (incomplete) Received headers.
>
> Can't you use procmail to filter on headers. That's the point of
> procmail :)

Well, how does procmail deliver to other users?  Likely he asks
exim to do it, so why not let exim do it in the first place:)

Besides, when you have to rely on the Received headers things get very
complicated, you'll have to look at some of those headers, try other
headers all the same and still find the occasional email you can't
figure out where to sent.  That's all done *and* maintained in
fetchmail, and from what I remember it is not straightforward to do it
in procmail.

Ofcourse, with proper Delivered/Envelope-TO headers the proper procmail
recipe is dead simple.  But your IPS can change them overnight:(

> > A second reason I prefer the setup I have, is that I can switch to
> > maildrop, gnus elisp filters or cyrus's sieve (imap site filtering)
> Ahh well, that's ok. But the reason I like procmail is that I can use
> gnus, mutt, etc. All at the same time and have the filtering happen
> somewhere else, so I don't have to worry about looking at my mail in one
> program and having the filters in the other mess up.

Ah, but in my setup exim hands over the final delivering to procmail,
so I *do* use procmail for my filtering:)

--
groetjes, carel