Re: [OT]: CVS replacement

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 09:44:49PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 01:43:00 +1000, Rob Weir wrote:
> > > [tla]
> > >
> > > Does it also support hardlinks (i.e. a file that has several
> > > positions in the repository)?
> >
> > No.  What sort of support would you like?  Just restoring the hard
> > links, or smarter diffing or something more?
>
> Here's an example. Most of my files are managed under Subversion,
> with a single repository. I have a perl directory containing my
> Perl scripts. But some of my Perl scripts are on my web server,
> which corresponds to the www/software directory. For instance,
> these two files are the same one:
>   perl/bkm2a
>   www/software/bkm2a
> So, having a way to tell that to Subversion would be a good feature.
> For the moment, this is handled by a script.
>
> A symlink wouldn't be sufficient (or would be less practical), as my
> website also contains "real" symlinks. So, I want to make a difference
> between the two kinds of links.

If it's in a separate directory, you could use arch's idea of "configs",
which basically automates checking out different archives into a set of
dirs.   The arch source tree is built like this, in fact:

build-tools     lord@emf.net--2003b/package-framework--devo--1.0
docs-tla        lord@emf.net--2003b/docs-tla--devo--1.0
hackerlab       lord@emf.net--2003b/hackerlab--devo--1.0
liblarch        lord@emf.net--2003b/liblarch--devo--1.0
links           lord@emf.net--2003b/package-framework--devo--1.0
tla             rweir@ertius.org--2003-arch/tla--devo--1.1

As you can see, the single source tree is made up of bits of five
different categories, from two completely different (but related)
archives.  The file that defines the directories making up this source
tree is also in an arch archive, so I checkout my branch of the
"dists--devo--1.0" archive, then "tla buildcfg rweir@ertius.org/tla"
(which is just my name for my local "config" of arch) and end up with a
shiny new tree.

Another option would be to create a branch for your home dir and a
branch for your web server.  Only have the files you want in each one,
and merge your changes between them.  This lets you decide how in sync
you want to keep them, and gives you the opportunity to decide to
diverge them at a later date.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:       SCUD missile warfare IMF warfare Kosovo munitions Kh-11