Re: [OT]: CVS replacement

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 07:26:28 +0200, Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> wrote:

> Since ages, I wanted to replace CVS here.
>
> I firstly tried to find out all the most interesting candidates for
> this. I have now a list of 2 items: subversion and tla.
>
> I tried to setup tla but didn't achieve totally this task.
>
> So now I am facing a dilemna: what is the most appropriate software to
> finally replace my old CVS (which hasn't satisfied me) ?
>
> For the little I tried tla, it seems smaller and easier to setup but as
> I didn't try at all subversion, this may be wrong.
>
> So I claim your help in making my choice: what would you use to replace
> CVS ? Subversion claims to be the CVS replacement but tla seems also
> interesting to me.
>
> Does anybody have feedback/recommendations for the 2 solutions ?

Hi. Like other people who replied here, I use subversion (since late
April), and am very happy with it on the whole. Bear in mind if you
start using it that it is still alpha, so there are lots of bugs,
which are continually being fixed. The subversion developers and user
community are very nice and friendly people.

Subversion is actually the first version control system I've ever
used. I tried cvs and could not get along with it.

By the way, does anyone here use tla? If so, care to summarise the
advantages/differences between tla and subversion from your
perspective? In Colin Walter's online diary/weblog, he mentioned that
he uses tla, which he prefers over subversion, but he didn't give any
details.  I've seen no signs of other Debian people using it. I looked
at it briefly, but was a bit put off by the fact that it enforces such
strict rules for naming things. Eg. archives have to start with an
email address.

                                                        Faheem.