Re: Packages.gz blocked by Symantec Web Security

Bob Proulx wrote:

Frank Chung wrote:
(2) do something with the URL to bypass this error for the time
being?

Hmm...  Not what you want exactly but perhaps this will help in some
way.  Have you looked at apt-zip?  All you need is to get the Packages
files to your machine so that you are past the 'apt-get update' stage.

 apt-cache show apt-zip

Just as a workaround until you resolve your problem.

Bob
That's unfortunate, it sounds like Symantec expects the only compressed format to be zip or they have some gzip issue. It's a gzipped text file... They may never respond, but you can always send and email to Symantec.

It's also unfortunate that your company admin is so short sighted. Setting up a stable, flexible license, open source operating system. I just can't see how it's bad for your company. Maybe he feels it's unrelated (to your job) because it encroaches on his job. Perhaps some company politicing is in order. I mean, your supervisor approves of your install right? If so, see if he will help you show his supervisor how good it is, etc. If he doesn't approve, you'd better start there.

The uncompressed version of Packages.gz is typically found at:

dists/<dist>/main/binary-<arch>/Packages

I've never tried updating this list mid-download. Maybe someone else has some ideas, but if the proxy didn't like the .gz text file, I don't know what it's going to think of .deb's. Try to download this package to see:

pool/main/g/gzip/gzip_1.3.2-3woody1_i386.deb

Apt-zip unfortunatly sounds like one of your few options (you probably cant take the system home or use a dial-up connection...) It sounds like it requires a Debian system off-site to do the downloads, write them to some removable media, like CD-R(W) and bring them into work. If you can do this, it may be your best option.

Do you have a full CD-ROM install? It won't be up-to-date, but you should be able to get a system running that you could show off to others (management and co-workers - probably not the admin). If you cant download one, just buy one from a vendor. They are usually very reasonable.

http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/

You say there is no way to bypass the proxy. What about non-http transfer methods? Ftp? Another creative solution might be to start with an ISO and update it using jigdo, just use jigdo for the ISO in the first place, or (heh) rsync the whole archive. I'm just kidding on that solution, even just for i386 it's around 13Gb right now. That would probably catch your admin's eye in the wrong way.

Best of luck!

Jacob
jacob@cachevalley.com