Re: USB mouse phantom devices (SOLVED)

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 21:08, Sebastian Kapfer wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:00:22 +0200, Jonathan Brandmeyer wrote:
>
> [configuring USB HID mouse]
> > I'm using the stock 2.4.21 kernel on Sid with separately compiled
> > openafs and nvidia modules.  The required USB drivers are installed in
> > the running kernel (hid, usbcore, usb-uhci, input).
>
> Doesn't one need usbmouse also? I'm not sure.

Nope, see below.

> > However, X cannot open /dev/input/mice with the error "no such device".
> > I tried `cat /dev/input/mice` and received the same error... but `ls
> > /dev/input` shows that it is there!
>
> "no such device" doesn't mean the device node is missing; it means Linux
> doesn't know what device it should connect with that node.
>
> Please post the output of ls -l /dev/input/mice. Maybe the device file has
> been damaged. It should display the numbers 13, 63 (major/minor number) in
> the size column. Try loading usbmouse first, though :-)

Actually, I had checked the device numbers earlier, but thanks for the
suggestion.  It is a major-13, minor-63 device.  Loading usbmouse didn't
change that.  But, if I boot with the parameter devfs=mount, everything
magically works.  Some googling turned up a pdf of something that looked
like it came from a magazine that described devfs, so I gave it a whirl
(about a minute before you responded).  Poof, magic.

The modules usb, usb-uhci, and hid are all marked 'unused', but a new
module was loaded named mousedev.
( Digs around in menuconfig for the stock kernel)
Hmmmm...   It seems that there was a missing module: mousedev.  devfsd
automatically inserted it for me, and the mouse works.  usbmouse was
*not* inserted by devfsd and the mouse works without it.

Thanks,
Jonathan

( Before using devfs)

jonathan@illuvatar:/dev/input$ ls -l mice
crw-r--r--    1 root     root      13,  63 2003-08-13 16:22 mice
jonathan@illuvatar:/dev/input$ cat mice
cat: mice: No such device

(After using devfs)

illuvatar:/dev/input# ls -l mice
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  63 1969-12-31 19:00 mice
illuvatar:/dev/input# cat mice
[ the expected garbage ]

Wow, look at that creation date.  Must be a devfsd thing?