Re: Good Debian-based distro

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 02:23:24PM +0200, David Fokkema wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 07:13:10AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> > Bummer. I had administrator access to our Sparc server for using as a
> > tftp server, but I reckon in a case like yours, you might could have
> > created a mini-LAN with a 4-port hub/switch using the Ultra 5 and any
> > Debian box you have and configure your Debian box to be a tftp server.
> > I've never done it, but it seems like it would probably work. Oh well,
> > maybe next time  :-)
>
> Indeed. I'd love to see debian on a sparc, :-)

It's pretty slick.  I've got an Ultra 60 running debian; I installed
using the tftp method (I used a debian i386 system as the tftp
server).  I also had to set up a RARP server; rarpd works great if you
are running 2.4.x.

I've had debian running on an Ultra 30 as well as some SparcStation
5s.  I love that administration is the same interface as that on my
i386 boxes.

The Ultra 60 is an SNMP poller machine right now; it does a lot of
work and is rock solid.  I got the whole thing for under $1000 buying
piecemeal off ebay.  One feature I really like is the boot rom; I run
RAID1 root and the machine will try each disk in turn if the first
disk(s) has failed.  Very few i386 BIOSes support this ...

  No.