problems with kde3

Hi  all,
I'm trying to install Woody r_0 on an IBM ThinkPad A31 laptop; it works if I use
simple graphical interfaces (icewm or fvwm95), but I've some troubles if I try
to install kde3 or gnome2; I used .deb packages to install these intervaces and
xfree86 4.1.0 and I chose the vesa module to configure X because no other
modules worked with that graphic card.
After the boot, a graphical login manager starts (I tried both wdm and kdm), but
when I log in the system waits, the screen flickers a bit and then turns back to
the previous login screen if I choose kde3 or gnome2; there are no problems if I
choose icewm or fvwm95.

Are there kde3 or gnome2 log files anywhere?
Other ideas?

Thanks in advance

Franco Vecchiato