Re: Good Debian-based distro

David Fokkema wrote:

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 05:03:03PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
It's been a year, so my memory is hazy, but I probably started with Potato (or whatever was stable then) and then upgraded to Sid. I never could boot [the Sparc SunBlade 150] off of local media; I resorted to a tftp boot which worked dandy, and which I'll have to again do with the SunBlade 2000s.

My problem exactly. It's a pity I don't have control over a tftp server.
Anyway, the machine is reinstalled by now and I won't be able to touch
it again in the sense of installing debian, :-/
Bummer. I had administrator access to our Sparc server for using as a tftp server, but I reckon in a case like yours, you might could have created a mini-LAN with a 4-port hub/switch using the Ultra 5 and any Debian box you have and configure your Debian box to be a tftp server. I've never done it, but it seems like it would probably work. Oh well, maybe next time :-)

--
Kent West (westk@acu.edu)