L 40 40 was Re: system reboots before booting

Emma Jane Hogbin said:
> Now I'm getting: L 40 40 40 40 (etc). The error code means
> "seek failure" according to some emails I found (via google). I installed
> lilo on the MBR (hda not hda1) and have tried rebooting with both my
> previous lilo.conf file and the default conf file. Both give the same
> error.

I've tried changing the BIOS according to:
http://clue.denver.co.us/pipermail/clue-tech/2003-February/006785.html
and have ENABLED LBA. I'm using my (before problems) lilo.conf file which
has lba32 (type of geometry?). Maybe I'm using the wrong order of
operations though?
1. update BIOS and enable LBA under the master harddrive; save changes and
exit
2. reboot with CD in the drive and enter into the rescue CD
3. mount / and /backup partitions
4. make system bootable
5. execute a shell program
6. copy lilo.conf file from /backups to /target/etc/lilo.conf
7. reboot the system with no CD in the drive

I guess this isn't my problem?

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin