Re: Poor performance with 1GB of RAM

J. Zidar wrote:
> I've found out that the processes were fetchmaild and run-parts.
>
> I remember once trying to make a script that would check and download my mail
> once connected (I'm using dialup) and I've always thought that is not working
> (the script) but I came to realize that is almost to efficient. I've made
> some changes in the ip-up.d. directory and hopefully that will do it.
>
> I apologize but I'm fairly new to debian (1 month or so).

I suggest that you get either lavaps or procmeter3, or both, and make a
habit of running them in a corner of your desktop.

Lavaps dislays a graphical representation of processes, and as it sits
there in the corner of your vision, you'll get a intuitive feel for what
is normal for your machine, in number of processes, process size, and
process activity.

Procmeter3 displays graphs, starting with the standard load avarage
graph, and including many more. I display my load average, memory use,
swap use, network traffic, rate of growth of /var/log/syslog, disk
traffic, and number of processes, amoung others. There are other
programs that do similar things, like gkrellm. After having such a
program up for a while you'll come to notice out of the ordinary spikes
in the graphs.

Things like this can help you get a grasp on what your system is doing,
and they make it really easy to notice when something like your
inaverdant fork bomb is in progress, and to tell what part of the
computer is overloaded so you can fix it.

--
see shy jo