Re: Poor performance with 1GB of RAM

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 01:33:21PM -0400, Mike Dresser wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Nejko Zidarjev wrote:
> >
> > Just a few minutes ago I managed to issue a top command and it
> > appears that I had (or have during the slowdowns) more than 10000
> > (YES, you read well!) processes running. the numbers is decreasing
> > as time passess to the overall 42-50, which is kinda expected.
> >
> > I have no idea what spawns (is this the correct term?) all this
> > processes.
>
> Are they all the process name?  What do they show as?

The output from top normally won't show you that many entries.  However,
when the number of processes reaches this point you might want to get a
listing of the processes from ps and pipe the output to a file for
review.  Something like:

   ps aux > ps.log

should do nicely.  Then you can read back through the output later to
find out what was running and as who.

--
Jamin W. Collins

To be nobody but yourself when the whole world is trying it's best night
and day to make you everybody else is to fight the hardest battle any
human being will fight. -- E.E. Cummings