Re: Poor performance with 1GB of RAM

J. Zidar said on Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 12:50:54PM +0200:
> I'm running stable with 1 or 2 debs from unstable and custom build 2.4.20
> kernel with the High Memory Support and Highmem I/O support enabled.

When the system is acting sluggish, what does top show you?  I've had problems
with systems with large (1GB+) amounts of RAM, where kswapd just goes crazy.
This is apparently a kernel bug, and there's not much you can do about it.

(If someone knows if there is something you can do about it, I'd love to hear
it).

> any errors. The Xfree log warn about not being able to open /dev/apm_bios,
> which is strange beacuse I have ACPI enabled.

XFree always tries to do something with APM on startup... not sure what.

> BTW: Is it normal that XFree86 uses 280 megs of ram?

Yes.  Part of that is your video card memory, which isn't really taking system
memory.  Also, keep in mind that your Xserver is keeping bitmaps of everything
that you can see on your screen, and then some.