Re: Poor performance with 1GB of RAM

Monday 11 of August 2003 19:50 je &e pisal:
>On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 01:33:21PM -0400, Mike Dresser wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Nejko Zidarjev wrote:
>> > Just a few minutes ago I managed to issue a top command and it
>> > appears that I had (or have during the slowdowns) more than 10000
>> > (YES, you read well!) processes running. the numbers is decreasing
>> > as time passess to the overall 42-50, which is kinda expected.
>> >
>> > I have no idea what spawns (is this the correct term?) all this
>> > processes.
>>
>> Are they all the process name?  What do they show as?
>
>The output from top normally won't show you that many entries.  However,
>when the number of processes reaches this point you might want to get a
>listing of the processes from ps and pipe the output to a file for
>review.  Something like:
>
>   ps aux > ps.log
>
>should do nicely.  Then you can read back through the output later to
>find out what was running and as who.
>
>--
>Jamin W. Collins
>
>To be nobody but yourself when the whole world is trying it's best night
>and day to make you everybody else is to fight the hardest battle any
>human being will fight. -- E.E. Cummings

I've found out that the processes were fetchmaild and run-parts.

I remember once trying to make a script that would check and download my mail
once connected (I'm using dialup) and I've always thought that is not working
(the script) but I came to realize that is almost to efficient. I've made
some changes in the ip-up.d. directory and hopefully that will do it.

I apologize but I'm fairly new to debian (1 month or so).

Thanks to all the people that helped me clear this issue. Is there a way to
repartition my swap and root partition the "Partition Magic" way (no need to
format etc.) as it seems that my swap partition is to big (2gigs for 1 1gig
o'ram)?

HND,
Jernej Zidar