Re: CD access probs

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 18:40:06 +0200, Richard Lyons wrote:

> On Sunday 10 August 2003 3:13 pm, Sebastian Kapfer wrote: [...prob
> mounting CD...]
>> /dev/cdrom is a symlink to what?
>
> ouch.  That was simple enough, then.  Point it at the right place... OK,
> that works.  Problem 1 SOLVED.

Good.

>> > And, if that is not enough, the CDRW says
>> >    Could not mount device.
>> >    The reported error was:
>> >    mount: only root can mount /dev/scd0 on /cdrw
> [...]
>>
>> You haven't shown us the fstab line for /cdrw. Most probably, the
>> "user" option is missing.
>
> /dev/scd0               /cdrw       iso9660 noauto,user      0 0
>
> A different problem, then.

Yes, the "ro" gets added automatically (with a warning message though).

> Oh dear, found it.  Missed a module at configure time when installing
> the Knoppix:
> $ /sbin/insmod ide-scsi
> insmod: ide-scsi: no module by that name found
>
> That means I have to do some sort of 'dpkg-reconfigure kernel-modules'
> or something like that, doesn't it.  (I am learning...)

It depends. Where did you get your kernel from? If you compiled it
yourself, then it's time for a new compilation cycle. Include SCSI
support, the SCSI CD-ROM driver, the SCSI generic device and IDE-SCSI
emulation. If it's a precompiled Debian kernel, you might be lucky. IMHO
all Debian kernels have ide-scsi either as a module _OR_ compiled in.

Now the problem is the compiled-in idecd driver. It grabs all drives which
it can get its hands on - even though idecd is uncapable of supporting CD
recorders for writing. You can prevent that by passing for example
hdd=ide-scsi to the kernel, if your burner is the secondary slave IDE
device.

Search "man lilo.conf" on instructions how to pass options to the kernel;
especially the paragraph on "append". Don't forget you run "lilo" after
editing the lilo.conf, and finally, this is one of the few incidents where
you actually have to reboot Linux. If you're not using lilo, then you'll
have to refer to the docs of your boot manager of course.

BTW: It's also possible to operate CD-ROM drives (non-burners) with
ide-scsi. You can get rid of idecd entirely if you want to. Works great
for me :-)

--
Best Regards,   |   Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
 Sebastian      |   your ~/.signature to help me spread!