Re: CD access probs

On Sunday 10 August 2003 7:30 pm, Sebastian Kapfer wrote:
[...]
> > Oh dear, found it.  Missed a module at configure time when installing
> > the Knoppix:
> > $ /sbin/insmod ide-scsi
> > insmod: ide-scsi: no module by that name found
[...]
> It depends. Where did you get your kernel from? If you compiled it
> yourself, then it's time for a new compilation cycle. Include SCSI
> support, the SCSI CD-ROM driver, the SCSI generic device and IDE-SCSI
> emulation. If it's a precompiled Debian kernel, you might be lucky. IMHO
> all Debian kernels have ide-scsi either as a module _OR_ compiled in.

Okay - it is the Knoppix precompiled kernel 2.4.21-xfs.  It was really just
the reboot that I needed.  Now both CD and CDRW are mountable.

Thanks.

I had a hard time getting there though,  some mysterious freeze-up when
restarting KDE (Konqueror looking for a now-not-mounted partition that I had
been looking at in the previous session) meant that I had to close down KDE
(should that be 'Klose down'?) by logging on from another machine and killing
stuff until it klosed.  I made many attempts, trying to find the right thing
to remove to prevent the old session being reconstructed, and having to kill
a stack of processes remotely each time. I even rebooted a couple of times,
but, although I managed to get rid of Konqueror, the mouse remained frozen in
KDE.  I idly tried a reboot into the old RedHat system, and it worked to my
surprise.  Of course, sharing the /home partition was never a great idea...
It did get rid of the session data that caused the mouse to freeze up, but it
got rid of a lot else too:  most of the menus, and the taskbar.  Now when I
reboot into Debian, KDE starts, the CD and CDRW are mountable, but most of
the kde configuration is screwed, and I have no tasks in the taskbar.
Minimise anything and it is gone!.  Anyone know how to re-constitute the KDE
setup?

It's the kombined kalamity effect: break one thing and everything else breaks
itself.

--
richard