Re: CD access prob

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 15:00:12 +0200, Richard Lyons wrote:

> My CD says
>    Could not mount device.
>    The reported error was:
>    mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

/dev/cdrom is a symlink to what? (Hint:

	ls -l /dev/cdrom

to find out. It might also be interesting to know what drive your CD-ROM
is.

	dmesg | grep CD

should be helpful.)

> fstab entry looks reasonable to me:
>
> /dev/cdrom /cdrom  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0

Looks right, the problem is probaly /dev/cdrom's target. BTW,

	/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 ro,user,noauto

is totally sufficient.

> And, if that is not enough, the CDRW says
>    Could not mount device.
>    The reported error was:
>    mount: only root can mount /dev/scd0 on /cdrw
>
> I've given permissions on /cdrw.

The permissions of the mount point are actually irrelevant. I even chmod
all my mount points to 000 so that I can't accidentially use an unmounted
mount point. (After something has been mounted on a mp, it's permissions
automagically change to something else, which depends on the mount
options.)

> What have I forgotten here?

You haven't shown us the fstab line for /cdrw. Most probably, the "user"
option is missing.

--
Best Regards,   |   Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
 Sebastian      |   your ~/.signature to help me spread!