CD access prob

I'm feeling perticularly dim today.  Having messed up my RH boot while setting
up Debian (Knoppix) on my desktop box, I was about to shrug and say @so what
- now I'll just have to use the Debian.  But one or two bits aren't working,
and I'm sure I really know how to mend them if I could get my brain in gear
in the heat...

My CD says
   Could not mount device.
   The reported error was:
   mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

fstab entry looks reasonable to me:

/dev/cdrom /cdrom  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0

but what do I know...

And, if that is not enough, the CDRW says
   Could not mount device.
   The reported error was:
   mount: only root can mount /dev/scd0 on /cdrw

I've given permissions on /cdrw.  What have I forgotten here?

TIA
--
richard