RE: Helping the newbie

On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 03:51, Hershel Robinson wrote:
> Said Greg Folkert:
>
> > Stable is NOT "stability of the system"... STABLE means few if any
> > changes to the DISTRO.
>
> Said : Andreas Janssen:
>
> > ... Sarge or Sid are usable for
> > desktop systems (at least many people use it, I use Woody with KDE 3),
>
> May I ask another newbie question? Are both of these statements accurate?
> They are not precisely the impression I get from this page:
> http://www.debian.org/releases/
>
> but if sarge is a stable operating system for my desktop, then I imagine it
> might be smarter for me to install that, rather than woody. I am behind a
> NAT hardware firewall, so I presume some security issues may not be of
> tremendous concern to me.
>
> I am a complete Linux newbie and I am hoping to install Debian on a second
> machine, just as soon as I can purchase said machine. :)
It comes down to this:

This is a spare machine. You will Install Woody, easiest IMNSHO. Play
with it for quite a while. If you don;t like the "oldness" of it, put in
testing and unstable sources in /etc/apt/source.list

Then in /etc/apt/apt.conf

   APT::Default-Release "testing";
or
   APT::Default-Release "unstable";

Granted right I have very few issues with Sid right now[1]. But that
could change at any time. Testing seems to have a lot of Busted
Dependencies, some to the point where some common packages are not even
installable.

As I said before, right now Sid (unstable) feels about as reliable as
Current RedHat/Mandrake/etc... So, if you want NEW NEW NEW... goto Sid.

[1] One problem the ticks me off is the Gnome Dialog for File selection
and saving... Three out of three machines, 2 x86 one SPARC all
Kill/Freeze the GNOME app when you goto select/open or save a file. But
then again sometimes it actually WORKS!!! GADS I hate those kinds of
BUGS. and No I have not filed one yet because I have not fingered out
the causality.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

Your aquiline senescence implores me to generalize within the relms of a
starfish's lifelong hallucinations of gelatin pools and of actuaries
floating upon the Rhine.