Re: Helping the newbie

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 03:51:27AM -0400, Hershel Robinson wrote:
> Said Greg Folkert:
> > Stable is NOT "stability of the system"... STABLE means few if any
> > changes to the DISTRO.
> Said : Andreas Janssen:
> > ... Sarge or Sid are usable for
> > desktop systems (at least many people use it, I use Woody with KDE 3),
> May I ask another newbie question? Are both of these statements accurate?

More or less, yes.  Though I would avoid sid or sarge until you've got
a good grasp on Debian.

> They are not precisely the impression I get from this page:
> http://www.debian.org/releases/

Right.  That page is focused towards less experienced Debian users,
because sarge is basically week-old sid hand-me-downs, and every once
in a while a broken package ends up in sid.  tetex-bin is broken badly
in sid right now, for example (as in, waiting for an upgrade because
it can't configure, and thus won't let me do anything but upgrade it

> I am a complete Linux newbie and I am hoping to install Debian on a second
> machine, just as soon as I can purchase said machine. :)

I would stick with stable until you get the hang of it.  Learning a
new OS is hard enough without having things randomly break for no
obvious reason.

- --
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user
`. `'`