Re: On Woody: (No) Sound with VIA 686a Southbridge, AC 97

Caidence,

Your best bet is definitely a kernel upgrade.  It is possible to get
the VIA Southbridge to work under an older kernel using Alsa, but it's
something of a pain.  The one time I did it it took me quite a few hours to
figure out exactly what had to go into /etc/modutils/snd and get
everything working right.  It's much easier to upgrade to a new kernel
(The most recent stable one) that has support for the card.

~Tom W

http://www.oddquad.org/
"...and the fully armed nuclear warheads, are, of course, merely a
courtesy detail."