Re: cdrecord suddenly doesn't allow burning

Hello

Pigeon (<jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk>) wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 06:14:06PM +0200, Andreas Janssen wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> Joris Huizer (<joris_huizer@yahoo.com>) wrote:
>>
>> > ?? now what should I do ? Should I change /dev/sg0 to
>> > the cdrom group too ? :-s
>>
>> Yes, you should change that Set them to cdrom group and make them
>> read-writable for the group.
>
> I'm going to contradict here, mine are all root:root mode 600.

You are right, it is not necessary to set them to root.cdrom for writing
if cdrecord is setuid root. However, what about other programs for
reading that are normally not suid root? cdparanoia gives the following
error message:

/dev/cdrom exists but isn't accessible. [/dev/cdrom points to /dev/scd0]
[...]
No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device /dev/scd0

I assumed that if someone wants to write CDs, he will probably also do
other things like ripping, and you either have to change the
permissions on /dev/sg* or set even more programs suid root.

bets regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen