Re: cdrecord suddenly doesn't allow burning

--- Danilo Raineri <raidan77@tin.it> wrote:
> Joris Huizer wrote:
>
> > /usr/bin/cdrecord: Permission denied
>
> It seems that /usr/bin/cdrecord has been replaced by
> a script, which calls
> the appropriate executable depending on the kernel
> version:
>
> AinSoph:~# cat /usr/bin/cdrecord
> #!/bin/sh
> VERS=`/sbin/kernelversion`
> case $VERS in
>   2.0|2.2)
>     exec cdrecord.shm "$@"
>   ;;
>   2.4|*)
>     exec cdrecord.mmap "$@"
>   ;;
> esac
>
> You can fiddle with the permissions of cdrecord.*
>
> On my system, everything works if I chmod +r
> /usr/bin/cdrecord
>
> --
> Danilo Raineri, danirain@tin.it

Well that idea about cdrecord seems to be the case
indeed. However, I did
chown root:cdrom cdrecord.mmap
chown root:cdrom cdrecord.shm

And ls -l /usr/bin/cdrecord* now gives me:
-rws--x---    1 root     cdrom         142 Jul 10
14:16 /usr/bin/cdrecord
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     cdrom        307K Jul 10
14:16 /usr/bin/cdrecord.mmap
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     cdrom        307K Jul 10
14:16 /usr/bin/cdrecord.shm

but before a cdmod +r cdrecord still replied,
/usr/bin/cdrecord: /usr/bin/cdrecord: Permission
denied

The /dev/scd* "files" are all root.cdrom; the /dev/sg*
"files" are all root.root

I was allready in the cdrom group so I tried the
following. I did chmod +r /usr/bin/cdrecord - and now
running cdrecord results in:

jorishuizer@debian:~$ cdrecord -v -eject -force -immed
speed=1 dev=0,0,0 cd_image
Cdrecord 2.01a16 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
1995-2003 Jörg Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
cdrecord.mmap: Operation not permitted. WARNING:
Cannot do mlockall(2).
cdrecord.mmap: WARNING: This causes a high risk for
buffer underruns.
cdrecord.mmap: Operation not permitted. WARNING:
Cannot set RR-scheduler
cdrecord.mmap: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set
priority using setpriority().
cdrecord.mmap: WARNING: This causes a high risk for
buffer underruns.
scsidev: '0,0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
cdrecord.mmap: Permission denied. Cannot open
'/dev/sg0'. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord.mmap: For possible targets try 'cdrecord
-scanbus'. Make sure you are root.
cdrecord.mmap: For possible transport specifiers try
'cdrecord dev=help'.
cdrecord.mmap: Also make sure that you have loaded the
sg driver and the driver for
cdrecord.mmap: SCSI hardware, eg. ide-scsi if you run
IDE/ATAPI drives over
cdrecord.mmap: ide-scsi emulation. Read
/usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup!

?? now what should I do ? Should I change /dev/sg0 to
the cdrom group too ? :-s

By the way, why did cdrecord change to a script
(without a warning it seems) ?

Thanks very much for your help,

Joris