Re: Can't install or remove tetex packages - SOLVED

On 06 Aug 2003, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> Following a disaster with cleanlinks my tetex-base, tetex-bin, and
> tetex-extra are in a mess. According to dpkg -C they are half-installed
> and half-configured. I cannot either reinstall or remove.
>
> Can anyone suggest a safe method of rmoving these packages and
> reinstalling them?

I've now solved this by the probably unorthodox method of editing
/var/lib/dpkg/status. I changed the entries for tetex-base and
tetex-bin, which showed these to be half-installed, to read "purge ok
not-installed". The packages then installed correctly.

Is this solution documented anywhere? If not, should it be?

AC

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic