Re: Look at these update from M$ Corporation.

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 08:43:46AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 17:07:44 +0200
> David Fokkema <dfokkema@ileos.nl> wrote:
> > The only requirement (and drawback) is that other people reply to a C-R
> > from time to time. If configured friendly, only one time for each new person
> > you start mailing.
>
>     But that is a big requirement.  Look at my recent message.  I've sent mail
> out to ~3700 unique addresses in the past couple of years.  I boils down to
> about 3 new addresses *a day*.  If all those people implemented C-R I'd be
> answered a new challenge more often now than I would deleting the spam that I
> don't choose to look at (IE, the messages SA don't mark as spam) which is on
> the order of 2/week and falling.

Friendly configured, in my point of view, means that mailing lists are
whitelisted. Or do you mean that you really send mail to 3 'new' persons
a day? Or do you send bulk email? I guess I misunderstand you...

>     Of course this doesn't take into account that during that time I had 6-7
> different active email addresses.  So a good portion of those unique addresses
> I'd have to respond to several times.

Good point. However, if a MUA respects the In-Reply-To header this
should be no problem. You can whitelist based on that too, I guess...

>     Pointing out that I could script the response does not help the case for
> C-R.  If I can script it, a spammer can script it and the impervious wall Alan
> is bragging about is shown to be the house of cards that it is.

Well, I am led to believe that most spam doesn't have a valid reply
address. So no scripting can help a spammer, unless he wants to deal
with his ISP. But, I _do_ wonder what a C-R system would do to those
'urgent business proposal' spam. Are there valid addresses behind those?
Otherwise I _really_ don't see the point of this spam.

>     What's worse is that so far noone's told me how two people using C-R ever
> *start* communicating.  Person 1 mails person 2.  Person 2's C-R sends off a
> challenge to Person 1.  Person 1's C-R sends off a challenge to Person 2.
> Repeat.

By sending an e-mail, you automatically whitelist the To: addresses.

> > I myself don't think this is annoying.
>
>     Think on the grand scale.  Go look at the number of unique addresses you
> send to and imaging hitting reply to all of those.  The compare that to the
> number of times you delete spam.  If the former is not higher than the latter
> then you're lucky and should imagine it for people who use email for a bulk of
> their communication and where, like me, the difference is almost on the order
> of a magnitude.  It is just like spam.  A little here, a little there isn't
> annoying.  Several a day is.

Then I'm lucky. I send e-mails, and sometimes quite a lot, but only to
people that I know. Sometimes to new people, but I could deal with that.
But if you are unlucky, I see how C-R can be annoying.

David