Re: Look at these update from M$ Corporation.

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 11:14:27 +0200
David Fokkema <dfokkema@ileos.nl> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 04:11:28PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > 	Because we chose not to? Because we have objections in
> >  principle to people offloading their spam fighting effort to innocent
> >  correspondents? Because I have better things to do than to beg and
> >  plead for my answers to be heard by people who asked for help in the
> >  first place?

> Then send your answer to the list.

    Sometimes correspondence is not appropriate to send through the list but
is still relevant.  For example when Alan Conner objected to PGP signatures I
was looking through the signed messages and noticed one from Manoj had a bad
signature.  I double-checked to ensure the keys I had were the correct ones
and even went so far as to retrieve them again from a keyserver.  Still a bad
signature.  I sent a copy of the message to Manoj with an explanation of the
behavior in case something was misconfigured on his(?) end.  Certainly not
something I want to bother the list with and quite appropriate to send
directly.  Not worth enough effort to hit reply on a C-R, however.

> Getting tens of mails of spam a day and hitting `d' on them requires a
> lot more brain cycles then (almost) blindly responding to a challenge.
> But that is just my guess, or my opinion.

    Then install SA and spend a few minutes perusing the configuration
options.  I find SA quite effective with the Bayesian filters turned on and
set to the default auto-learn limits.  I also add in a Vipul's Razor check.
About 15 minutes of work and I cut my spam load from 10-20 a day to 1-2 a
week.  Here's the kicker.  I'm not annoying dozens of other people on an
ongoing basis to do it.