Re: moving mail to imap

ouch.. 1GB mem?? okies..definately will look at courier then.. don't want to screw up the server (it only has 512Mb ram!!)

actually.. there's only me that uses imap on the server.. but thats not the point.. I want to move over 15,000 (over 200mb) msgs to it so don't want to screw it up...

thanks for the info.. will look at courier...

Cheers

Craig

Juri Haberland wrote:

Craig Tinson wrote:
ok.. will look into the version that is running (I didn't realise didn't imap servers varied so radically) .. and upgrade to courier if I need to...

which comes to another question... is courier (then) the current standard (ie *best*) ?

It is said that the server with the most features is Cyrus-IMAPd, which
is quite hard to istall and to configure.
In most cases Courier is enough and scales well (I know someone running
~8000 Users with Courier).
Cyrus stores it's mails in a cryptic database format whereas Courier uses
an enhanced version of Qmail's Maildir concept.
UW-IMAP (the one you're currently using) stores it's mail in a plain mbox
file. It is slow, doesn't scale and eats lot of memory if you have
mailboxes > 50 MB (actually it seems to load it completely into memory).
So having 10 users each with a mailbox size of 100MB (quite common) means
you need 1000MB RAM - or a lot of SWAP space...

Cheers,
Juri