Re: Newbie question on partitioning (primary/logical drive ?)

On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 22:46, ThinKer wrote:

> Primary IDE Master: 4.1 GB
> Primary IDE Slave: 1.2 GB
> Secondary IDE Slave: 4.1 GB

> /dev/hda  <= primary master
> /dev/hdc  <= secondary master
> and
> /dev/hdd. <= secondary slave

Primary slave is /dev/hdb.

At least as I understand it.  Are you sure about how you have these
drives connected?

Dedicating a drive as swap would probably speed your system, as that
drive's hardware would be able to handle swapping while other things
were happening elsewhere, instead of interrupting some other disk
activity to do it.

I run /, /home, and swap partitions.  Make /home it's own partition for
safety and convenience.   There are reasons to have other partitions,
and I don't have strong ideas about them.

Are you sure about your drive layout?

Cheers,
Bret
bwaldow at alum.mit.edu