Re: automount permissions problem

Hello

Shawn Lamson wrote:

> On Sat, July 26 at  5:49 PM EDT
> Neal Lippman <nl@lippman.org> wrote:

[AutoFS problem]

> I don't use automount but to get proper permissions for my vfat fs's i
> use this type or entry in fstab
> /dev/hdb1       /mnt/win98              vfat    defaults,gid=6,umask=002
>
> then as long as I am in group 6 ( disk on my box ) I have read access...
> The key is the umask portion and equates to permissions of 775 or
> rwxrwxr-x in case you aren't familiar with umask.

I hope you know that being in the disk group as a user can be a severe
security risk.It allows you direct read/write access to all your IDE and
SCSI hard disk (for example with dd). If you are in group disk, the
filesystem mechanisms that protect you from accidentially destroying your
system can become useless.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--