Re: automount permissions problem

On Sun, July 27 at 12:51 AM EDT
Andreas Janssen <andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>Shawn Lamson wrote:
>
>> On Sat, July 26 at  5:49 PM EDT
>> Neal Lippman <nl@lippman.org> wrote:
>
>[AutoFS problem]
>
>> I don't use automount but to get proper permissions for my vfat fs's
>i> use this type or entry in fstab
>> /dev/hdb1       /mnt/win98              vfat
>defaults,gid=6,umask=002>
>> then as long as I am in group 6 ( disk on my box ) I have read
>access...> The key is the umask portion and equates to permissions of
>775 or> rwxrwxr-x in case you aren't familiar with umask.
>
>I hope you know that being in the disk group as a user can be a severe
>security risk.It allows you direct read/write access to all your IDE
>and SCSI hard disk (for example with dd). If you are in group disk, the
>filesystem mechanisms that protect you from accidentially destroying
>your system can become useless.
>
>best regards
>        Andreas Janssen

Point taken - since this is my home box I do a lot of admin tasks under
my user id and am about as careful as I am with root.  IIRC I did this
originally to allow myself to burn CD's and b/c I used my Windows HD's
as storage for music etc... and needed to access it frequently which is
not an admin function.

Believe me, I always stop and pray before typing "dd" anywhere!

Shawn Lamson
shawn.lamson@verizon.net