automount permissions problem

Here's my problem, maybe someone can help. I have a usb media reader
than handles smartmedia, compact flash, etc. It works fine in the sense
of being able to put media into it and mount the media, using the
usb-storage module, and copy files off the media. The devices look like
scsi disk drives, as expected with the use of usb-storage.

It would be ideal to be able to use autofs to mount these drives, as I
do for my dvd and cdrw drives, so I added the appropriate entries into
auto.mount, the control file for my /mount automount directory. It looks
like this:

# Automount map file
# 6/4/02 nl
#
#format:
# key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
dvd	-fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev,exec,user	:/dev/dvd
cdrw	-fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev,exec,user	:/dev/cdrw
floppy	-fstype=vfat,nosuid,noauto,user,nodev,unhide	:/dev/floppy
cf	-fstype=vfat,ro,nosuid,noauto,user		:/dev/cf
sm	-fstype=vfat,ro,nosuid,noauto,user		:/dev/sm

/dev/cf and /dev/sm are symlinks to /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1.

The media cards automount all right, but the protections on the
directories created by autofs is rwxr--r--, which means I cannot cd into
or list the files in subdirectories on the media unless I become root,
which is not ideal. And that's the problem.

I don't have this problem with automounted cd's or dvd's - the
protection mask for those is rwxr-xr-x, so all works fine.

Is there something I should have done in the auto.mount file? Is this
something about the way the cf and sm cards work (they are formatted in
a digital camera, so I don't really have any control over how various
bits are set in the filesystem.

Any thoughts/help appreciated.

Thanks.
nl