Re: is a backport of Xfree86 4.2 or 4.3 for woody available?

  >> Sorry I can't remember the *exact* error message ...

I today found the error messages caused by "apt-get upgrade":

       The following packages have been kept back

              libpng3
              x-window-system-core
              xbase-clients
              xfree86-common
              xlibs
              xserver-common
               ... ... ...

"Kept back" ... that's a strange expression.  Exactly what does it mean?

  ag> I had issues here as well, probably complicated by other
  ag> backports.

I have no other "backports" installed.

  ag> I found that it was necessary to include _all_ of the following
  ag> lines in sources.list.

  ag> # XFree4.3
  ag> deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/xfree86/i386/ ./
  ag> deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/freetype/i386/ ./
  ag> deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/fontconfig/i386/ ./
  ag> deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/libpng/i386/ ./
  ag> deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/xft/i386/ ./

I changed my "sources.list" to include all of the above and reran
"apt-get upgrade".  That only resulted in the installation of four
add'l packages: libpng2, libfreetype6, xnest and xvfg.

  ag> In addition, the apt-get upgrade didn't work too well, I
  ag> finished up removing and reinstalling xlibs, as that was the
  ag> main culprit that was being held back as v4.1.

So, I should now try using "apt-get install xlibs" or " dpkg -i xlibs"
in the dir containing all the downloaded "xfree86-4.3"-related ".deb" files?

Thanks for the help!

  -Kenneth