Re: is a backport of Xfree86 4.2 or 4.3 for woody available?

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 08:52:21PM -0400, Kenneth Jacker wrote:
>   >> Sorry I can't remember the *exact* error message ...
>
> I today found the error messages caused by "apt-get upgrade":
>
>        The following packages have been kept back
>
>               libpng3
>               x-window-system-core
>               xbase-clients
>               xfree86-common
>               xlibs
>               xserver-common
>                ... ... ...
>

> "Kept back" ... that's a strange expression.  Exactly what does it mean?
>
>   ag> I had issues here as well, probably complicated by other
>   ag> backports.
>
> I have no other "backports" installed.
>
>   ag> I found that it was necessary to include _all_ of the following
>   ag> lines in sources.list.
>
>   ag> # XFree4.3
>   ag> deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/xfree86/i386/ ./
>   ag> deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/freetype/i386/ ./
>   ag> deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/fontconfig/i386/ ./
>   ag> deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/libpng/i386/ ./
>   ag> deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/xft/i386/ ./
>
> I changed my "sources.list" to include all of the above and reran
> "apt-get upgrade".  That only resulted in the installation of four
> add'l packages: libpng2, libfreetype6, xnest and xvfg.
>
>   ag> In addition, the apt-get upgrade didn't work too well, I
>   ag> finished up removing and reinstalling xlibs, as that was the
>   ag> main culprit that was being held back as v4.1.
>
> So, I should now try using "apt-get install xlibs" or " dpkg -i xlibs"
> in the dir containing all the downloaded "xfree86-4.3"-related ".deb" files?
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
>   -Kenneth

You need to _remove xlibs before installing it_.  There are a lot of
dependencies that get removed at the same time, but that didn't bother
me because that was when I was setting up my system, and everything was
cached for a subsequent install, so no more downloading.

I'm sure that someone with a more than mediocre knowledge of apt / dpkg
could suggest a way of forcing removal of xlibs and leaving it's
dependencies.  I'd venture that you cold force removal of xlibs with
dpkg, then install with apt-get and hope that it picks up the pieces.

But like I say, it wasn't a big deal for me to let it remove all of the
xlibs 4.1 dependencies.

YMMV.

Antony