Learning about X defaults (was Re: mouse wheel scrolling in mutt ???)

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 06:38:08PM -0500, Michael D. Schleif wrote:
[...]
} Now that I have this working, what documentation of xdefaults and
} xresources should I have on my debian boxen?
[...]
} I haven't delved into this side of X in several years.  There are other
} things, similar to this remapping, that I may find useful; also,
} changing fonts, &c.
}
} If I want to RTFM, where do I go for these things?

Well, each Xt-based app *should* give information on its X resources in its
man page, and xterm does. It is also possible to interrogate a running
Xt-based app on what resources it supports (though, AFAICT, not their
current values) using editres. You can also find out what resources are
applicable to a particular app with appres. Finally, there are some (old)
books on X Toolkit Intrinsics (a.k.a. Xt) which will explain the difference
between XAPPLRESPATH, XFILESEARCHPATH, XUSERFILESEARCHPATH, and others
(there is a book on SGI's online bookshelf, which is where I learned it;
when I say online, I mean on their machines rather than on the web). So:

man xterm xrdb editres appres
book(s) on Xt

} Best Regards,
} mds