Re: [OT] linux-2.6.0-test1 problems

Dear all,

I think this is a good chance for us to share our experience with 2.6.0.
I notice that in make menuconfig, even though I'm not using old .config
from 2.4, it will take .config from /boot. I make sure of a clean
.config by doing make defconfig && make menuconfig.

I finally get lot's of things working with still a little glitches. ACPI
support looks like need new tools, as /proc/acpi interface change (am I
right, here?).

The most important for me is Mouse. I use IBM T30 Laptop with synapstic
mouse which has trackpoint and a touchpad at once. I used to use gpm
from CVS (ver: 1.20) who knows about synapstic ps 2 and configure to
relay its data to /dev/gpmdata for X.

Now, it seems 2.6.0 identified the mouse with this message:

localhost kernel: mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
localhost kernel: input: PC Speaker
localhost kernel: Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1
localhost kernel:  Firware: 5.9
localhost kernel:  Sensor: 44
localhost kernel:  new absolute packet format
localhost kernel:  Touchpad has extended capability bits
localhost kernel:  -> multifinger detection
localhost kernel:  -> palm detection
localhost kernel: input: Synaptics Synaptics TouchPad on isa0060/serio1
localhost kernel: serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
localhost kernel: input: AT Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
localhost kernel: serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1

But I can't get gpm to work. Not with the CVS 1.20 version or even
Debian Unstable's 1-19 version. I've tried synps2 and imps2 or autops2.

Anyone have luck here?

I've manage to compile the kernel using gcc-3.3 (standard in sid). But
not sure of the stability, so I recompile with gcc-2.95. Will it
affecting anything?

I also notice that modprobe irda0 doesn't work anymore. irda0 is an
alias for nsc-ircc I sets in modules.conf. But when I modprobe nsc-ircc
directly, it work.

But overall,
I like the new kernel.

Great Job!