Re: OT: why I don't want CCs

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 05:07:59PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> Jamin W. Collins <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> [2003.07.16.1653 +0200]:
> > Offlineimpa had severe problems with defunct threads last I saw, and
> > yes I filed a bug report on it.  Sadly, it got passed around with
> > nothing coming of it last I checked.
>
> What's a defunct thread? I am using it now for a couple of months,
> syncing about 4000 messages/day between five machines, and I have yet
> to experience the slightest problem. My only complaint is that it does
> not really handle network downtime gracefully but just hangs...

Details are in the bug reports:

   http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=5470&atid=105470&func=detail&aid=621548

Basically a thread that is started, has finished or hung, and is not
closed.  Enough of these and your system will become more or less
unusable since eventually it will be at it's thread limit and not be
able to fork a new process.  Which was how I found the problem.

I seem to recall someone indicating that it may have been my use of the
TK based frontend to offlineimap, but I don't seem to be able to find a
link to that one.

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar