Re: No space left on device

* Salman Haq <salman@wam.umd.edu> [14-07-2003 18:56]:
>  Now, I realize that this a very bad partition scheme but I'm just a
> newbie. When I was installing debian a few months ago, I didn't intend to
> have this scheme. I wanted root to be mounted as '/' and everything else
> under '/usr' since thats the bigger partition. Unfortunately, most of
> everything is mounted under '/'. I wonder where I went wrong...

Either I misread what you are saying or your understanding of
filesystems and mount points is wrong.

You can't mount _everything else_ under /usr. You could mount
another filesystem on say /usr/local but i.e. /tmp is either on the
/ filesystem or has its own filesystem that is mounted on /tmp, but
it's never on the filesystem that is mounted on /usr (not directly
annyway, you could use symlinks).

I hope this makes sense.

Bob